Wednesday, September 1, 2010

My Favorite Writing

"A soul mate is someone who has locks that fit our keys, and keys to fit our locks. When we feel safe enough to open the locks, our truest selves step out and we can be completely and honestly who we are; we can be loved for who we are and not for who we’re pretending to be. Each unveils the best part of the other. No matter what else goes wrong around us, with that one person we’re safe in our own paradise. Our soul mate is someone who shares our deepest longings, our sense of direction. When we’re two balloons, and together our direction is up, chances are we’ve found the right person. Our soul mate is the one who makes life come to life."
- Richard Bach

Thoughts: I remember I wrote this down on my binder my senior year of high school. It really opened my eyes to the beauty of love and why certain people come into our lives and make it that much better. I am not entirely sure if I believe in "soul mates" but reading something like this, reaffirms my faith that perhaps, they do exist. My name is Persian for "loving" so a passage like this describes just how important love is and that kind of makes me feel closer to my parents because they were responsible for naming me.
The person who wrote this was Richard Bach. That name didn't mean anything to me at first but, after I did some research on Richard him, I found that he is an American novelist. This quote inspired me so much, I plan on reading at least one of his books.

Word Count: 149

1 comment:

  1. A good example, but I'd like you to focus more on the writing techniques that make this piece effective, not just on your response to it.

    For example, the first sentence uses repetition ("has locks that fit our keys, and keys to fit our locks") and the next-to-last sentence uses a metaphor ("balloons" going up).

    8/10

    ReplyDelete